How To Compare Builders Quotes
Our builders in Surrey know that comparing quotes can be challenging. We advise clients to meet with a few builders, and to get a few quotes as they go, so they can make an informed choice. But when you receive those quotes, how do you choose? Where do you start? Here are some tips on navigating this part of the process.
To fairly compare and choose, you’ll need to ensure you’re comparing like-with like:
- Compare them- are all quotes aiming for the same output, for both external and internal finishes?
- Are all quotes broken down into itemised costs with sufficient detail?
- Are there provisional sums included in the quotes? If so, are these realistic?
- Are all builders quoting to appoint a Project Manager, to take responsibility for delivering the project to a high standard, on time and on budget?
- Are any expecting you to source your own materials and/or tradespeople? Or to manage the tradespeople throughout the project until completion?
- What contract will the builder be using to determine payment schedules and to ensure fair allocation of responsibility?
If your quotes aren’t covering the same elements, you can’t make a fair comparison. When quotes are fully itemised, it’s much easier to ensure you’re comparing apples-with-apples. It also means the relationship with your builder will be based on trust and transparency.
Importantly, watch out for ‘vague’ quotes – these tend to be the cheapest, but lack any real detail. Unfortunately, once these builders start, you’ll start to experience additional costs.
Consider Your Impression Of The Team
In addition to interrogating quotes, think about how you feel about the builders you’ve met:
- Who would you be happy to have in your home over the coming months?
- Do you feel confident that they’ll do what they say they’re going to do?
- Have they been clear about the process they’ll follow?
- Who would you contact if you have questions – and in what timeframe will they reply?
- How will they keep you updated about costs and timings?
- How will they handle the security of your property during the works?
Whilst these questions won’t be answered by the quotes themselves, they’re wrapped-up in the service you’ll receive. Think about what you want and what the builders will provide.
In our experience, following these tips will help you make the right choice for you. And, above all else, feel free to ask lots of questions at this stage – any good builder will be happy to answer your queries to ensure you feel confident in your final choice.
Contact Us – builders in Surrey
If you would like to enquire about the services our builders in Surrey provide, please get in touch with our team. Call us on 01252 338801 or email us at email@example.com. Alternatively, fill out our online contact form and we will be in touch as soon as we can. NBC Construction, a professional construction company in Surrey and North Hampshire.